Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Receipe Review: Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe from Taste of Home


Source: Taste of Home

I have been wanting to revisit my Stovetop Tuna Noodle Casserole and create some variations. In this case, I found someone else's recipe that sounded like it had promise. I loved the ingredients list of the Taste of Home recipe because I didn't have to leave my apartment to get any ingredients because it just uses:
  • onion
  • butter
  • flour
  • salt
  • pepper
  • milk
  • noodles
  • tuna
  • peas
  • cornflakes (this is a common old-school topping but I just went with some seasoned breadcrumbs)
I did make two additions. I added finely minced garlic and cayenne pepper.

Who wins in the case of Cheap not Frugal Eats Stovetop Tuna Noodle Casserole v. Taste of Home's Tuna Noodle Casserole? Mine, definitely. Don't get me wrong. The Taste of Home version is solid and I enjoyed my meal. I just find milk sauces without a lot of other flavorings too sweet for my taste.My Pasta with Béchamel Sauce and Spring Vegetables works because it has lots of sauteed onions, garlic, and tons of vegetables to balance the sweetness milk acquires as it cooks. I find the Taste of Home version needs something bright. In my tuna noodle recipe I add brightness two ways: Dijon mustard and sour cream.

I made this meal with spaghetti and I found I really liked that. I'm not normally a big fan of spaghetti or fettucini, it's too messy to eat for me, an already messy eater. A few years ago, Z. and I had a chance to stock up on pasta for almost next to nothing (and some was free) so we have tons of thin, long pasta to finish. I liked the texture of the pasta after it baked. I got several ideas just from making this dish and can't wait to share them with you. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment