Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Favorite Cheap not Frugal Eats Recipes


One way that I keep my food costs down, is I cook seasonally. The fruits and vegetables that are in season are at their peak of freshness and flavor. Since they don't have to travel as far to get to my local market, they are also cheaper! My favorite veggies of the spring are greens, leeks, and asparagus. Strawberries are in season but may have to travel a ways. If you are in the valley and cost isn't an issue, keep an eye out at your local farmer's market. There have been strawberries at the Corvallis Farmer's Market.

My favorites are the greens. I have already enjoyed mustard greens and baby bok choi from Beautiful Gardens. I have been getting bunches for just $1. I have been enjoying them in stir-fry and lentil salad. One of my favorite vegetables is only available for a short time in the spring: white turnips. I love root vegetables where you can enjoy both the tops and the bottoms. My favorite way to eat the turnip bottom is raw. Baby white turnips are so delicate and tender that cooking them takes away some of their flavor. If you have never had turnip greens, take advantage of the bounty this spring and try them!

Since I cook seasonally, my new recipes come along as the season progresses. I thought I would share some of my favorite spring recipes from years past. Enjoy!

Pasta with Béchamel Sauce and Spring Vegetables: This is one of my hands-down favorite meals to make with spring vegetables!

Green Bean Stir-Fry: Stir-fries are always a hit in this household. It's fast, tasty, and uses whatever is in the fridge or freezer. If I am impatient and do not feel like waiting 23 minutes for rice to cook, I use couscous. Not feeling like Asian flavors, I will just saute fresh veggies, add some salsa, and enjoy the combination over whatever grain is handy.

Black Bean Salad: A favorite brown bag lunch that's light, bright, and fresh.

Pasta Salad: I like this for the same reasons I enjoy Black Bean Salad.

Spinach Hummus: Hummus is a great way to enjoy spring vegetables and you are enjoying even more of the season by adding spinach.

Mediterranean Barley Salad: When prepared like this, barley doesn't have to remain a heavy fall or winter staple. The nutty, toothsome grain is mixed with tomatoes, chickpeas, and artichoke hearts that are dressed with a bright vinaigrette.

White Beans and  Turnip Greens: My first adventure with turnip greens, which was just about this time last year! I included tomatoes in this version but if you are not a fan of tomatoes, I bet it would still be delicious.

Millet Salad with Orange Vinaigrette: I kept this version pretty basic with roasted yam, garlic, kale, red bell pepper, and jalapeno. The orange vinaigrette makes this a winner.

Lentil Salad and it's many incarnations: I make lentil salad a few times a month, year round. I have several versions with spring vegetables: Lentils with Broccoli and Asparagus, Lentil Salad with Sauteed Kale, Onions, and Fresh Turnips, and something a little more unusual, Brown Lentils with Grapes and Apples.

Marinated Cauliflower Salad with Chickpeas: Here is another recipe that's great for brown bag lunches. Raw cauliflower becomes more tender and enjoyable when marinated. I combined leftovers with rice noodles to make another meal.

Asparagus Risotto: You will have to wait for our recipe because Z. is the Asparagus Risotto master.

Finally, and certainly not least, is Pasta with Vegetables: The variations are endless.






No comments:

Post a Comment