Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Restaurant Man

Read Restaurant Man by Joe Bastianich...unless you're looking for something new or enlightening, ignore my recommendation. It has the required characteristics of the chef-memoir genre:
  • casual narrative: feels like the author is having a conversation with you
  • snarky and snide commentary or observations punctuated by foul language
  • anectodotes about cooking, restuarants, and life.
Here's why I'm suggesting Restaurant Man:
  • Bastianich doesn't discuss being frugal or thrifty, one of the main themes of the memoir is the importance of being a cheap motherf*****r. Not only can I relate, anyone who has any wish or desire at ever opening a restaurant or business, needs to read this book.
  • Ridiculously entertaining. Period.
  • Bastianich's style of snark and wit is one of the keys to this book's success. Anyone can say something rude or colorful but his style makes me want to learn more. The people he has some of the worst things to say about are also people he continues to work with because they are great at what they do (I have his thoughts on his gelato-maker in mind).
  • I love the other memoirs I've read recently (I have Marcus Samuelsson's Yes, Chef in mind) but this is the one that I have learned the most from about tasting food and wine. I actually plan on rereading this pretty soon because I think there's things I missed.
  • I actually didn't know anything about Joe Bastianich except that I've seen him as a judge on Master Chef and that he's Lidia Bastianich's son. Turns out he's actually interesting! Just based on watching him on  Master Chef, I wouldn't have picked up this book. He's dry and to the point in a way that doesn't always come across as engaging on edited television but in writing. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment