Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day, Mom

I love this photo. She's beautiful and looks so full of hope.


It’s Mother’s Day. I have an amazing mother. And I never had a chance to tell her how fantastic she is and how much I have grown to respect her. I didn’t actually realize how lucky I was until I was an adult, thinking about someday having children of my own.  The monster that is multiple sclerosis has so ravaged her mind that I don’t think she would totally understand the words I was saying but she would register something of the emotional content. Then she would have her version of a meltdown because that’s what she does in any circumstance with emotional demonstrations and I just can’t handle it. I’m going to make a list of why my mom is so rad and share it with the world.

She put up with me. I can only imagine all the ways that I was completely obnoxious.

She made me feel like the most special person in the world.

She was smart and wise in ways I couldn't understand as a young punk. I didn’t have shoes with laces until I could tie them.

There were a few songs in my piano methods books that she loved but I wouldn’t play them unless she paid me $1 for each song because I didn’t like them. I would give anything for her to ask me to play now.

She did everything she possibly could to make my dreams come true.

I love her smile. She would light up a room with the light of her spirit. It doesn’t happen often but when she laughs, I can see a glimpse of the person who she once was.

The first summer I came home from college, I had a meltdown. I was overwhelmed by living away from the people who had depended on me so much and there was this boy that had graduated and moved away. I thought I might never see him again. That summer, every time mom and I went somewhere, she would tell every stranger who would listen that I liked a boy. She would laugh and have a great time embarrassing me. 8 and ½ years later, I still like that boy.

And, she always loved me unconditionally. That is a gift I will always be grateful for. Happy Mother’s Day, Momma.







No comments:

Post a Comment