Pages

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Recent Meals and Experiments


My work schedule has changed in the last few months. I am working later into the evening or have a short break between jobs then go back to work. Z. and I mix up having dinner together when I finally get home or I cook a quick meal for myself before leaving. Fajitas are a staple. I use whatever vegetables are in my fridge. The picture above shows an experiment: onion, corn, black beans, corn, acorn squash, cauliflower, thinly sliced brussel sprouts, radish, and fresh green beans.

Then, the leftover corn and black beans become a marinated salad for my lunch the next day. Imagine my Marinated Chickpea Salad with corn and black beans. I love Trader Joe's white balsamic vinegar with corn and black beans. It's bright, light, and makes a great vinaigrette.


Z. suggested I try adding edamame. I really enjoyed this variation: onion, corn, black beans, bell peppers - red and green, and edamame. What other fajita variations do you enjoy? 

I love how my soba noodle salad looks but I haven't quite gotten the dressing right. I tried an orange-miso vinaigrette. I enjoyed the orange with the noodles and the vegetables but I think it was too much for the miso. Soba noodles are one those pantry essentials that make for quick meals for Z. and myself.


Even though I didn't make this last meal I want to share, I had to brag.  Z. was the chef and I had the privilege of cutting the carrots and asparagus for his Asparagus Risotto. Z. makes amazing risotto. There's no cream and no butter but the risotto is still rich and creamy. Maybe someday he will let me share his secrets.


No comments:

Post a Comment