Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Mexican Casserole



What to do with all those leftover corn tortillas?

This was a serious topic of conversation between Z. and I recently. Our corn tortillas come in a package of 72 because it's the best deal. We used to divide the package and individually freeze portions of six tortillas. Once they are reheated for fajitas, they are rather dry and fall apart easily. We are no longer inclined to freezing our tortillas; we need a new solution where semi-stale tortillas no longer matter (I knew I had you at "semi-stale").

I certainly enjoy my Tortilla Strips (which I enjoy the most on their own as a warm, salt snack) but I am looking for something that we could have for dinner. My version of Mexican Casserole is my first attempt at getting creative with corn tortillas. Z. and I love this meal! I already have one variation under my belt and have more planned as more spring produce comes into season.


This meal was great! Z. and I each had a huge dinner and leftovers for lunch the next day. With this first attempt, I wanted to see how innovative I could be with some Cheap not Frugal Eats staples. Enjoy!

Mexican Casserole

by Ace Nation
Keywords: entree vegetarian tortilla vegetables Mexican
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
  • Non-stick cooking spray
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and minced finely
  • 1 can corn, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups frozen corn, thawed)
  • 1 can beans (red, black, pinto, or a combination), drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups precooked dried beans)
  • 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 2 teaspoons cumin seeds or ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 1 tomato-chicken bouillon cube, if desired
  • 6-8 corn tortillas
  • 1/4-1/2 cup shredded cheese
Instructions
For the filling
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cut tortillas in half. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and spray each side with non-stick cooking spray. Toast until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large high-sided skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat.
Add onion, cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to develop some color, 8-10 minutes.
Add garlic and cumin to the pan, cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Add cumin, chili powder, and smoked paprika to the pan. Toast about 1 minute.
Add corn, beans, diced tomatoes, and bouillon cube to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until all ingredients are heated through, 5-8 minutes.
To assemble and complete
Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. I used my 6-cup glass Pyrex dish.
Spoon about 1/2 cup of the vegetable and tomato mixture into the bottom of the dish and spread evenly.
Layer tortillas over the mixture. You can have a single layer of tortillas and there might be filling exposed or you can overlap tortillas to create a more dense dish.
Spoon another layer of vegetables over the tortillas, enough so that the tortillas are covered by a thin layer, and spread evenly.
Continue the tortilla and vegetable mixture layers until the vegetables are gone.
Spread the cheese evenly over the top layer. Bake 10-15 minutes, until the whole dish is heated through.
Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment