Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Recipe Review: Breakfast Cookies


Source: Kumquat

Just take a look at these cookies. They can be as inexpensive or luxurious as you want, breakfast cookies are delicious either way. Gretchen's recipe over at Kumquat uses flax meal, pecans, and dried blueberries. Delicious ingredients, just not in my pantry. So I made the breakfast cookies just with the following:


Z. doesn't care for bananas. Let me put that more accurately: my wonderful boyfriend won't knowingly try anything that has bananas in it. So I substituted apple sauce, about 1/4 cup, maybe more, maybe less. I used just enough to bind the ingredients together. A wetter, gloppier mixture did not result in a better cookie. After making three batches of these, I tried a few different ratios.


Since this household  has become breakfast cookie connoisseurs, we suggest you do not try getting fancy with the seasonings. Just use salt and vanilla. I thought I was being clever (mostly feeling sorry for myself that I didn't have all the yummy-sounding ingredients) and added cinnamon. I love cinnamon with my oats! Just because cinnamon and coconut may grow in the same parts of the world, does not mean they are meant to go together in a recipe. Lesson learned. Enjoy these cookies as they were meant to be: simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment