Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Potato Soup






Last Saturday I was home all by myself. Z's traveling season for work is in full swing. So, he was going to be home a few hours Sunday before he had to leave again. And, no, he's not a truck driver. I wanted to make something for myself that would have provide a couple of meals over the next few days and possibly enough to freeze a bowl. We have had a bag of potatoes that we hadn't finished yet for a ridiculously long time. We bought it on sale for $0.98 for a ten pound bag. Awesome! Soup has been on my mind since it is fall and everything. Potato soup sounded like it would hit the spot.

My mom wasn't the greatest cook but she managed reasonably well. My dad was the one who really taught her to cook. Let's see, what would my grandma have to teach? Red jello with carrots and celery, anyone? I must add, one of the awesome things about my parents was that they encouraged me to get in the kitchen and help and learn to cook. The first thing I ever learned to cook: an veggie omlette in fourth grade. Thanks, Dad!

My parents shared the cooking responsibilities. Soups and (red) chili were dishes I can remember only my mom preparing. When she made potato soup I would get really excited. I wasn't excited for the soup, I was dying for the little bits of bacon she would fry up to put in our soup. First, she would fry the bacon, set the cooked bacon to the side, and fry the vegetables for a few minutes in the bacon fat. That part was excellent. I just didn't like how runny her soup was. I was inspired by my mom's potato soup. I knew I had to change it enough to make it thick and creamy. Thus, my potato soup was born. Enjoy!

-Ace

Ace's Potato Soup

Sausages or bacon, cook enough to render enough fat to use to create a roux
Potatoes
1/2 onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, adjust to taste, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk, more if you would like it more creamy
Bay leaf
Salt and pepper, to taste

Garnish

Shredded Cheese
Sausage or bacon
Chives
Sour cream

  1. Put whole, cleaned and unpeeled potatoes in a pot with a lid. Cover potatoes with cold water by about 1/2 inch. Bring to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes. KEEP THE COOKING WATER.
  2. While the potatoes are cooking, start cooking the bacon or sausage. I diced my sausages into thin half-moons because I like them to be super crispy. When cooked, set aside and keep the fat.
  3. Cool potatoes until they are able to be handled. Peel potatoes. Mash about 1/2 the potatoes and cut the other half into bite-size chunks.
  4. Saute the onion and garlic in the fat in a soup pot until soft. If necessary, add a little more butter or oil to the pan. Add the flour. Do not step away from the pan. Stir occasionally, until the flour has turned a shade or two darker. Do not burn. Add milk. Stir to combine. Add the mashed potatoes. Add the potato cooking liquid by 1/2 cups until the desired consistency is reached. The roux may not thick the soup immediately but it will. You may have to add more liquid depending on how much it thickens as it simmers on the stove.
  5. Add the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Don't be skimpy!
  6. Add the potato chunks and simmer until warmed through. Serve with garnishes.

Price Breakdown

.00 4 sausages (free with coupons)
.29 Potatoes
.12 onion (on sale!)
.14 garlic
.02 flour (negligible)
.35 3 cups milk

Total: $0.92

No comments:

Post a Comment