Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tomato Sandwich

I couldn't write about frugal recipes that I love without talking about the humble tomato sandwich. When tomatoes go on sale for $.98 per pound or less, I am a very happy camper. I was about to list a variety of meal ideas that use fresh tomatoes but I couldn't really think of anything, or at least anything that I have made, besides Go Ducks! Curry. I love, love, love eating fresh tomatoes. On a side note, I feel compelled to use lots of really's and very's because in person the arm gestures and weird faces I make from excitement would get all the really's and very's and love, love, loves. Back to the sandwich. I love a bowl of diced tomatoes with balsamic, olive oil, and salt. Diced tomatoes and a spoon are a better vehicle for balsamic vinegar than a plate and slices of tomatoes. My mouth is watering just thinking about balsamic vinegar. My obsession with vinegar is a whole separate entity.

I promise I will get to the sandwich!

The second way I enjoy eating fresh tomatoes is on a sandwich. At home, I love toasted wheat bread, Miracle Whip, and four slices of tomatoes (if using tomatoes on the vine). Some people get fancy and add mustard or cheese or salt and pepper but I like it simple. And plain. I make it the way my Grandpa always ate his tomato sandwiches. I love how recipes remind us of our loved ones and bring back memories. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment