Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

The Corvallis Farmer's Market Adventure Continues


Ace here, back with your weekly farmer's market report. I am continually amazed by how simply beautiful fruit and vegetables can look. As soon as Z. and I stepped foot into the market, we made a beeline for Gathering Together's pastries and doughnuts. Z. discovered their organic potato doughnuts last weekend and I was fortunate enough to have a bite. These little gems, at $1 apiece I might add, made a pleasant morning wonderful. We took our doughnuts and coffee we had previously purchased and plunked ourselves down on a bench along the river walkway. Everyone who walked or biked past us stared. Either a) we are kind of funny looking, b) we had beautiful doughnuts in our grubby little paws and they were wondering where the could find one, or c) we had big silly grins on our faces because we were each enjoying coffee and an amazing doughnut with our best friend. I am guessing all of the above.


I love going to the market and watching the season unfold. Each week brings new surprises. The newcomers to the market this week were melons and what I have been looking forward to all year: chili peppers! Just a couple weeks ago, the only peppers present were padrons and serrano. Saturday, multiple vendors had several varieties of chilies. One of my favorites, Spring Hill Farm, had many types: serrano, padron, pepperoncini, pablano, Anaheim, and chimayo. I spotted the brilliant red of the chimayo from down the street and knew I had to have some (here is an interesting article I read about the chimayo). The first picture of the post of the two red chilies, are the chimayo peppers I came home with. I left Spring Hill with two chimayos and a gorgeous pablano. I picked up four jalapenos for $1 from another stand. The second farm stand that sells padrons had a deal on the peppers for the last hour of the market where they were discounted $1. I cannot wait to try these little peppers!

Chimayo peppers!
Padron peppers
Right to left: pablano and four jalapenos
I wanted to share what I did with the chard from a couple weeks ago. I very much enjoyed the flavor of the chard, which had a delicious strong spinach flavor and a lovely color. I tried making dolmas with the leaves. While this was not very successful due to the fragile nature of the cooked chard, I did make some awesome couscous. If you are interested in using chard as a wrapper, here is what I did. I wanted to cook the leaves so after wrapping the couscous no further cooking was required. First, I trimmed the stalks. I dropped the leaves in a pot of boiling, salted water for 2 ½ to 3 minutes. I had a big bowl of cold water waiting nearby for the chard. After the chard blanched, I immediately put the greens in the cold water. When cool, I patted them dry. Then, I stuffed a large leaf with about 1 ½ tablespoons of couscous, and rolled the leaf like a burrito or summer roll. For the smaller leaves or leaves with lots of holes, I layered two leaves. I found after cooking, the chard was incredibly delicate. I ended with tearing most of the leaves just by moving them. But I really enjoyed the rich spinach flavor of the chard with the couscous.


Couscous is the ultimate fast food in my book. You do not even really cook it! I am sure all brands have their own directions, so follow those. To prepare all the couscous I have come across, boil the appropriate amount of water, add couscous, stir, remove from heat, cover, and let sit 5 minutes. Fluff before serving. And if you are one of those people who cannot even handle boiling water without burning something, heat the water up in a kettle, pour the couscous and water in a pot, and cover. Anyone can handle couscous. Enjoy!


Couscous with Dried Fruit and Nuts, serves 4

1 cup couscous
1 1/4 cup vegetable or chick stock
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, finely diced
1 small zucchini, finely diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup almonds, lightly toasted
1/4 raisins
  1. Heat a small sauce pan over medium heat, add the spices, and toast for 30-60 seconds. 
  2. Add stock and bring to a boil. Add couscous, remove from heat, and cover. Let sit while cooking vegetables.
  3. In a saute pan, heat olive oil over medium-low to medium heat. Cook onions until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 3-4 minutes. Add zucchini and cook 2-3 minutes. 
  4. Season liberally with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. 
  5. Combine couscous and vegetables in a large bowl with toasted almonds and raisins. Taste for seasoning and adjust salt if needed. Enjoy as a side dish warm or at room temperature or use as a filling in dolmas.



No comments:

Post a Comment