Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Fudgy Meringue Cookies Revisited


I am happy to report that I made cookies successfully! I have not been able to get the terrible Fudgy Meringue Cookies I made out of my head. These cookies had such potential; they required minimal ingredients, much of which came from the pantry. I gave these cookies another try and had some success. My cookies still did not resemble the gorgeous cookies pictured by the magazine but they sure tasted great. Here are a few things I did differently:
  • I used a hand-mixer. I have the best boyfriend ever who gave me the hand mixer I have had my eye on for months and months. The first time around, I thought I was being resourceful when I used a whisk and attempted to make meringue by hand. 
  • I used three egg whites rather than two egg whites. The first batch was dry and lumpy but this time the batter was smooth and looked like meringue!
  • I did not add the melted chocolate. Z. and I thought the melted chocolate was slightly too much the first time. The next time I make these cookies without the melted chocolate, I will be adding a little extra flavor with some instant espresso powder. I thought the cookies were great without the extra chocolate but a little extra pep will not hurt anything.
  • I did not burn the cookies!
I still did not use powdered sugar. I tried running some through my little food processor but it made a terrible screeching sound with only a little sugar in the container. The granulated sugar seemed to work find. I just made sure to add the sugar to the egg whites in small batches. The moral of this story: Try, try again and you just might get cookies. Enjoy!

P.S. Eggs are on my list of expensive items. I love the idea that I can a portion of an egg in this recipe and use the rest in another recipe. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment