Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Ace's Adventures with . . . Peach Salsa


I noticed that when I say adventure, I really mean that I am trying something new and I have no idea how the dish is going to turn out. I had an adventure making Peach Salsa yesterday, which I have never had before. Conceptually, I like the idea of the sweet peaches with something crunchy from the allium genus and a little spicy chili pepper topping something savory. After all, I really enjoy mangoes in my Black Bean Salad, I thought I might enjoy some Peach Salsa on some fajitas. What did I learn:
  • Peach Salsa is rather weird and I will not be making it again. I think chutney has more potential.
  • I would not eat Peach Salsa on chips but I did enjoy the salsa with the ground turkey that was on my fajita. The flavors of the salsa and meat complement each other. If I just had vegetables, the sweetness would have been too much.
  • I added some grated garlic. I knew I was taking a risk and it turned out to be a risk I should have avoided. The garlic did not enhance the salsa.
  • Fresh cilantro would have helped to bring the salsa all together.
Here is the recipe of what I made yesterday:

Peach Salsa, serves 3

2 nectarines or peaches, skin and pit removed
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
1-2 tablespoons lime juice
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Mix everything in a small bowl and let sit for 20-30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment